Application window is now closed.
What experience do I need in order to apply?
- Three years of successful teaching experience (or other educator roles) and a current North Carolina teaching license
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.75 (3.0 GPA in undergraduate major required) / 3.0 GPA at the graduate level (2nd degree-seeking candidates)
- Eligibility to receive a forgivable loan based on the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) guidelines.
Do I need Letters of Recommendation?
Yes – You will need to request 3 qualified persons able to assess professional performance and comment on your potential leadership abilities to submit letters of recommendation. One letter of recommendation should be from your current principal or supervisor. Instructions for how these letters will be submitted are given in the application. You do not need to collect these letters in advance.
What documents will I need to complete the application?
You will need to submit:
- License – a copy of your current NC teaching license.
- Transcripts from each college attended.
- Professional Resumé – Please include information on your teaching experience (grades & Subjects), current school district, and include current supervisor’s name and contact information (school address, phone, and email).
- Statement of Purpose (200 – 400 words) – A statement of purpose is where you tell the admissions committee; (1) why you are interested in being a NC Principal Fellow at North Carolina Central University, (2) how you plan to be intentional in developing your leadership lens to be an effective school leader, and (3) why would you be an excellent candidate to advance the work of school leadership.
*The GRE is not required.
Will there be essay questions on the application?
Yes, please be prepared to give 200-400 word responses to the following questions:
- What three words would you use to describe the characteristics or practices of an effective school administrator? Explain why you selected each of the words.
- What experiences have you had working with students, families and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds, and as a school leader, how would you provide leadership in implementing cultural responsiveness in the school and community?
- As a future administrator, identify and expound on at least 2 key initiatives or strategies that you would employ to address high need students in your school in order to increase student achievement and cultivate a strong learning environment?
What are the M.S.A Requirements for NC Central University?
The candidate must:
- have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution;
- have educational loans in good standing and be eligible to receive a loan;
- hold an initial North Carolina teaching license;
- meet specific requirements of the school administration license for which they wish the institution to recommend them;
- successfully complete 42 hours (at least a 3.0 GPA);
- attend and participate in at least 80% of the professional development opportunities;
- apply for admission to candidacy upon the successful completion of 30 hours of coursework;
- apply for graduation in the Office of the Registrar; this application must be on file no later than the deadline date listed in the academic calendar;
- successfully complete a comprehensive written examination in the field of major;
- successfully complete a portfolio in Taskstream and
- successfully complete an oral presentation of the Action Research Project
For more information on the program and application information see the School Administration, MSA website. All participants invited to participate in CCP3 will need to submit a Graduate Admission Application to NC Central University.
What is the admissions timeline for the 2023 Cohort?
*Please note that this is a tentative timeline and is subject to change
|Sept. 15 – Dec. 1, 2022||Open application period for online submission|
|Dec. 1 – 6, 2022||CCRESA and NCCU review of applicants|
|Dec.13 – 22, 2022||Virtual Interviews|
|January 2023||Review and final selection of candidates with Superintendent approval.|
|May 15, 2023||Latest date for selected candidates to apply for NCCU admissions|